It's The Great Pumpkin Dessert!

When I first saw this recipe for Great Pumpkin Dessert, it made me think of the Halloween classic It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown.  (Yes, my mind works funny like that sometimes.)  Poor Linus waited in the pumpkin patch all night, but he never saw The Great Pumpkin.  We'll never know if it really exists!  I can tell you that The Great Pumpkin---Dessert does exist.  Here it is!

Sorry, Linus, but pumpkins were killed in the making of this dessert. 

Recipe Link
Ingredients 
1 (15 oz.) can pumpkin puree
1 (12 fl. oz.) can evaporated milk
3 eggs
1 cup white sugar
4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 (18.25 oz.) box yellow cake mix
3/4 cup butter, melted
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl combine pumpkin, milk, eggs, sugar and spice. Mix well and pour into a 9x13 pan. Sprinkle dry cake mix over top. Drizzle melted butter on top of cake mix. Top with chopped pecans. Bake for 1 hour or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.

Adapted slightly from Allrecipes



The pecans roasted on top while baking and they were sooooooooo delicious!
The Results...
Better than getting a rock in your trick-or-treat bag.  (If you don't get it---go watch the show!)

Much Much Much Better!

This is kind of a unique dessert.  The best way I can describe it is........if a pumpkin pie and a coffee cake got married, this would be their baby.  A sweet, sweet baby that would be loved by everyone!  That's the best I can do.  I guess you'll just have to make this and see for yourself. :)

This recipe is featured at:


I also share recipes at these linky parties.

Comments

  1. Lois at Walking on Sunshine/wife of the colonel just posted this same recipe yesterday. she made hers without nuts.
    I do this and call it pumpkin dump cake.
    Either way, it is yummy and yours looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Spatulas on Parade. I just went over and checked out Lois' Pumpkin Crunch Cake. There's a few different measurements and I didn't add any salt, but yes basically the same dessert. This dessert was new to our family and we loved it!

      Delete
  2. You said it best, pumpkin pie married a crumb cake! Your photos are amazing! Great minds DO think alike! Glad you stopped by so I could come here and see your version! I definitely need to buy pecans next time I make this! Enjoy your day! Are you coming tomorrow for Foodie Friends Friday? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi again :) Thank you for coming over and for your kind comment! Yes, I plan to join the party tomorrow!

      Delete
  3. This looks so very good! I have some pumpkin waiting to be made into this wonderful looking desert!
    I am now following you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cynthia,
      Thank you so much for following! Even my teenager who doesn't like pumpkin, still loved this dessert. You won't be disappointed. Have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  4. Oh how I LOVE everything pumpkin! Love the ease of making this and it looks fabulous! Thanks so much for being the first to link up at Weekend Potluck. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm already trying to decide which pumpkin recipe to make next! I was lucky and got to be first this time to the potluck. Thank you for being a wonderful hostess and I hope you have a great weekend, too! :)

      Delete
  5. I have this exact recipe I received from a coworker about 5 years ago! She found it in a cookbook. When I make it I use spice cake mix and reduce the sugar to 1/2 cup. Every time I make it, someone asks for the recipe!!! It is so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kristin Rae,
      I can see how spice cake would taste wonderful in this dessert. Your recipe sounds delicious. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your version. :)

      Delete
  6. I make a similar recipe and it is one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha, I thought of Charlie Brown too! Thanks for bringing this over to Foodie Friends Friday =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Always a fan of recipes that use cake mixes (and allrecipes.com - its my go to recipe site!) I'm pinning this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the pin! Allrecipes is one of my favorite recipe sites, too.

      Delete
  9. Love your blog. Great title! What a tasty looking recipe. Cannot wait to try this on my eager family. Come and visit us. We are having a great giveaway this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm coming over to visit....

      Delete
  10. Someone shared a recipe like this with me and I did a post about it and I couldn't believe the result. It was SO delicious! Yours looks amazing...thank you so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa,
      Thank you! I was surprised, too that it turned out so delicious. Thank you for hosting Mix it up Monday. It's always a great party! :)

      Delete
  11. Oooh, sweet love, this sounds so good. Thank you for sharing this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've not seen this recipe before, but I think it's going on the Thanksgiving menu!

    And when I saw the name of it, I thought of Charlie Brown, too. Good stuff! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Friday lady!!

    I immediately thought of Charlie Brown too!! :) Just wanted to let you know that you are one of the features this week for last week's Pumpkin Party!!

    Hope you have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment